Job Description: California Store Manager
Summary of Position
Major purpose and functions of the position
Management of a retail variety store. Responsible for efficient, profitable and safe operations. Recruit, employ, supervise, train and develop store personnel. From an individual standpoint, the Store Manager must comply with the percentage limitations on the actual work s/he performs as set forth below.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities listed in order of importance
Store Manager is to spend the majority (more than 50%) of his/her actual work time each work week performing the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supervision of associates.
- Oversee daily store activities, including opening and closing of store.
- Ensure customer and associate safety.
- Protect all company assets, including store cash, merchandise and equipment.
- Maintain proper sales, banking, inventory, accounting, productivity, payroll and time records.
- Responsible for adequate staffing of store. Recruit, interview, hire, employ, and train sales associates. Train associates to properly use all equipment and technology as well as provide thorough merchandise display training.
- Schedule and assign work to store personnel. Evaluate, motivate, counsel, develop, discipline and discharge sales associates appropriately. Maintain production reports to evaluate job performance of sales associates.
- Provide leadership and direction to store personnel.
- Communicate company policies to sales associates. Ensure associates comply with company policies and procedures, including safety guidelines and human resources policies.
- Analyze sales, expenses and profit, review reports, analyze competition, determine customer preferences, manage sales forecasting, meet sales and profit objectives and goals, determine product mix, determine most effective placement of product and ensure standards of merchandise presentation, displays and signage to maximize sales. Assist in developing promotions and advertisements as appropriate.
- Control inventory. Supervise ordering, receiving, stocking and pricing of goods. Ensure goods are properly marked and mark downs are properly recorded.
- Responsible for overall cleanliness and appearance of store.
- Ensure highest level of customer service. Handle customer complaints and problems.
- Ensure accident reports and damage reports are completed in timely and accurate manner.
- Complete management reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with customers, subordinates and supervisors.
Store Manager may not spend more than a total of 35% of his/her actual work time each week receiving product, distributing and storing product, stocking product and cashiering.
Store Managers in California must comply with the percentage limitations on actual work time as set forth in this job description and verify compliance each week. If for any reason the store manager has not complied, s/he must immediately provide an explanation to both Payroll and Human Resources. No salary or wage will be withheld because of non-compliance.
Summary of knowledge, experience and education required
- Must possess prior retail and management experience;
- Background in dealing with hard lines / variety merchandise;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and written skills;
- Ability to work in a high-energy team environment.
- Must be proficient in financial and inventory management
- Must relate positively with employees, customers and company management
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor. This is not to be considered a complete list of job duties, as they may be amended or added to as needed.